Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A Carly Review of Supergrass

Supergrass- Hammersmith Apollo, Thursday 13th October with support from 'Son of Dave'

It has been well over 4 years since I last saw Supergrass at the good old Powerstation in Auckland for University Orientation, (and has been voted by myself as the best concert EVER) and with 3 albums the band have put out since I was dying to know whether there would be an air of 'nostalgia,' or just a plug for their new album Road to Rouen- which is a very good album, I might add!

It was more of a case of the latter, with the brooding track of their new album 'Tales of Endurance parts 4,5 and 6' opening the gig against all my predictions. Gaz looked stunning in his hat and I was relieved to see that he was still sporting some great facial fuzz! Danny looked forever enthusiastic on the drums, although I though Mick was looking a bit old, but his bass playing is just fantastic.

The concert plodded along and included some great tracks off their 4th effort life on other plants, including Breacon Beacons, Rush Hour soul (one of my favs) and played heaps off their new album including the standout tracsk Road to Rouen and Sad girl. They also played both singles off their best-of album which was quite nice too. 'Caught by the Fuzz' was dedicated to the late BBC radio (??) personality John Peel who some people may have heard of- can't say I really know him but I gather he was a very influencial person in the music industry. Standout tracks of the night included 'sun hits the sky', 'moving', 'sitting up straight' from the first album which absolutely rocked (melanie will understand), and although they played a lot of new material I was stoked that the band picked 'Strange ones' as the departing song from their first album 'I should coco'

The only disappointment of the night was the english mosh- my god are they pathetic- what does it take to get these people going?? And they didn't play mansize rooster or alright- two classic supergrass anthems.

All that said, I think they were worth every pound plus the extra £ I paid to a ticket tout to exchange my seated ticket to a standing one which had all sold out- maybe im just a hardcore fan : )

Unfortunately this time they didn't make it into my top five concerts- but I have been to so many I can't decide which is best

My top five best concerts ever:
#1 Supergrass, Powerstation, 2001
#2 Coldplay, Auckland Showgrounds 2003
#3 Gomez, 1st concert 2002 ish???
#4 BDO 2004 (the stokes and kings of leon and muse were all brilliant)
#5 R.E.M Hyde park 2005 (because it was in london, of course)

I generally haven't been to a bad concert though!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review Carly! I see that #5 on your list is R.E.M. at Hyde Park. I would have loved to have gone to that one! How was it?

I did end up getting to see them play the Bowl of Brooklands, New Plymouth in March this year. Myself & James Russell went on a road trip down there and it was fantastic! Apparently it was one of the most memorable shows on their latest world tour cos it was absolutely pissing down before the concert and about 50 people ended up dancing in the duck pond in front of the stage!

Here's my top five concerts:

#1 The aforementioned R.E.M. show in New Plymouth, 2005.

The people braving the cold water and duck shit in the pond went nuts when the band played Nightswimming'!
--------
#2 Counting Crows at The Civic, Auckland 2003.

Great show and they were nice enough to hang around afterwards and talk to the fans.
--------
#3 Finn Brothers at The Civic, 2005.

It was the last show of their world tour and thy kept on improvising encores. Neil was writhing all over the grand piano with his guitar as well!
--------

#4 Travis at the Auckland Town Hall, 2001?

Even though my shit seat kept me from seeing Andy the guitarist for the whole show I still had a good time. Very nice guys too, since they hung around outside with the fans for ages until their tour manager made them get in the limo.
--------

#5 Dave Dobbyn at the Auckland Zoo, 2005

That guy can entertain a crowd all by himself with just a couple of guitars and a keyboard. It was cute to see the little kids up the front by the rotunda dancing too!

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW that big long gig review was from me!

Graham.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Carly said...

The hyde park concert was absolutely fantastic- there was so many people there though it was sort of like a big day out- we were well back from the stage but it was fantastic!!! We actually bought tickets off a ticket tout as the concert was postponed for a week after the london bombings so lots of people couldn't make it and were selling off their tickets- which was all good for us!

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home