Thursday, April 12, 2007

Day one in iceland

Man I just couldn't sleep last night and was up at a brisk 5am this morning oooooer! Hopefully I'll get back to sleep at some point...

Anyway my long awaited trip to Iceland was great and here's the lowdown of it all...

Saturday: Day One:
So on a dark and mild Saturday at 5am, myself, Tim and Ian pile into Richies car and he (very kindly so) drives us to Gatwick in time for our 7.30 flight to Keflavik, the main international airport to get us to Reykjavik. So far so good.
I stupidly go to get some cash out, press a wrong button and end up being 50p into overdraft... stress stress as the bloody banks here charge mega fees on overdraft but luckily Rich was on hand to save the day and put £5 into my account for me that morning.
We get on the plane where we find out theres a bit of a delay to our flight, due to some luggage going to the wrong plane (at this point Ian jokes that our luggage has gone to Cincannti which was another flight around the same time) and I do worry slightly, as I had to put mine through as oversized luggage as my pack has lots of straps.

We fly there, had a pleasant brekkie on the plane and arrive at Keflavik and discover that its possible one of the most bling airports we'd been too (I assume due to the low volume of travellers....) and we make our duty-free alcohol purchases and head over to baggage reclaim. The bags were out promptly enough... Tim and Ian grab theirs, meanwhile I wait...... I wait...... I head over to the oversized luggage area.... I wait ..... I wait....... and finally come to the conclusion that my luggage hasn't arrived and head to customer services where this is confirmed and I fill in the details and am told it will be delivered to the Guesthouse we were staying at by the next morning. Poos!

By the time all that palava was over we discover that we had missed the flybus into Reykjavik, the next one wasn't for another 3 hours, and that it was cold and pissing it down with rain. The only option at this point was to shell out for an expensive cab (8000ISK or £60), check into the Guesthouse go get some food in the rain and drink.... as I didn't have a raincoat or anything and it was too miserable to go and explore the city. Nevermind because we were able to have a good peruse of the tourist information flyers and decided we wanted to go Whale Watching, found a pub that would most likely be showing the Champions League games and Ian and I had a hilarious drunk argument over who the original chick in the Smashing Pumpkins was. That was about it really, we took advantage of a break in the weather and checked out the harbour and surrounding area, but it was all just too bleak, and I passed out around 11pm and the lads headed into town for a few hours......

Can't really be arsed writing anything else for the time being... more updates soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home