Thursday, August 10, 2006

Museums Galore!

Because Im broke (thanks so much for still not paying me Catherine.....grrrgrrrgrrrrrrrrrrrrr) Ive been going to lots of the fantastic museums that London has to offer. Heres Carlys guide to some of em...

Monday....... Destination: Victoria and Albert Museum

I was primarly there to see the free exhibition on 60’ fashion but had a good browse at the random items the museum has to look at (think everything from Dyson vaccum cleaners to paintings by Raphael). The free map was a bit hard to navigate and I spent a good 15 minutes trying to locate the exhibition before asking a security guard the directions. Toilets were a bit crusty and the air-con either didn't exist or was broken because it was roasting. It is, however really easy to get to and was still an enjoyable visit.

3.5/5


Tuesday.......... Destination: Imperial War Museum
I had previously been to the Imperial War Museum but didn't quite manage to do it all so I thought Id make the hike back out there and browse at my leisure. Its quite cool because the first thing you see when you go through the doors are all these cool old tanks and stuff. The kids would love it! Kinda scary that I had to go through a bag check. Of course being a museum about war and the impacts of war it was kinda depressing. The section on the Children’s War was really awesome and was really interactive, brilliant for the horrible youth (and my generation too, for that matter) of today to realise how sweet they have it. There was also a really insightful section on the holocaust and a documentary showing on the top level that looked at genocide and crimes against humanity. Lots of gore and dead people.
Overall its not too difficult to get to, the layout and free map was much more user friendly and all the collections were well-labelled with interpretative signs. Toilets were mint. Air-con was just right.

4/5

Wednesday.......... Destination: National Maritime Museum
I forgot this was here the last time I went to Greenwhich so I was quite excited about heading out there again. Such a great day out! Anyway this was brilliant, with heaps of cool very interactive exhibitions focusing on all aspects of the sea. Explorers, ocean liners, history of sailing, you name it. My highlight was seeing the real original maps of NZ by Captain Cook, along with original botanical drawings from Joseph Banks (at least I think he was the naturalist on board) of Flax, Manuka and the Tui. Brilliant! My only gripe was that the interpretative signs were too far away from the collections so if you wanted to know what sometime was you would have to keep moving from where you were standing. But it was all good otherwise.

4.5/5

As for today, due to my interrupted sleep I might be going back to bed shortly : ) maybe the National Portrait Gallery either today or tomorrow!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, cool, nice way to use the free offerings here in London... I've been meaning to do that in my last week here but I've kind of been avoiding getting out of the house, everytime I leave I come back hours later and it's closer to when I fly out and, well, naturally I don't like that...

I really liked the Maritime Museum too, it was a cool little interlude, I was out there to check out a photographic exhibition on Britains coast line, which was also very cool, but in about June last year...

Anyway, good luck with the sleep, or the Portraits, which ever you end up doing... Catchya soon before I go.

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read blackberry pda car cradle 53 oldsmobile email pda rim blackberry wireless Is celexa for me blackberry mail tone nike ignite hockey skate Pimples and acne on scrotum treatment and cause Drive image 7 recovery environment download Future gsm alarm system blackberry decision supreme court cnet Paris hilton kissing girl wireless headset for ps2

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home